Congratulations to our Week Two Winners: Jen Klinger, Vivien Foldes, and Lisa Johnston! Remember to enter the Month of Mindful each week for your chance to win amazing prizes this month! http://mindfulgiving.pgtb.me/6q2xH7
Sunday December 8th through Saturday December 14th, enter for your chance to win Week 2 prizes. 3 winners will receive our "Body" prize package which includes:
- 50-minute Phone or Skype Integrative Nutrition Consultation with Junelle Lupiani, R.D.
- A signed copy of Mindful Eating by Miraval – With over 200 healthful recipes teaching you how to cook and eat the Miraval way by expanding and learning more about one’s needs while bringing diet into balance
- A luxurious Miraval Spa Robe to help you relax and bring the spa experience into your home
- Miraval Swell Water Bottle – our favorite insulated, eco-friendly bottle to help you stay hydrated
- Red Flower Organic Purifying Body Wash, Moisturizing Body Lotion, and Revitalizing Sea Salt Scrub
- A selection of Deborah Lippmann holiday nail lacquer
- Exercise Stretch Band and Instruction Book
- A selection of La Bella Donna Cosmetics
By: Kim Macy, Pastry Chef
Below is the flour mix recipe that I use often in gluten free baking—simply replace 1 cup of All-Purpose Flour in your recipe by sifting the ingredients below together. The gluten free flours and starches tend to need sifting in order to make sure all ingredients blend well together and to avoid clumping. This is especially true when incorporating multiple dry ingredients, which is common in gluten-free baking. This recipe is from Miraval's newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, where my husband, Executive Chef Justin Macy, and I share our secrets for making delicious, healthy dishes. Pre-order Sweet & Savory Cooking now before it hits bookstores January 7, 2014 for more healthy cooking tips and one-of-a-kind recipes.
- 1 C. Sorghum Flour—A finely ground whole grain that is highly nutritious, gluten free, and has a neutral sweet flavor.
- ½ C. Brown Rice Flour—Flour milled from the whole rice kernel; it’s gluten free and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 2 T. Potato Starch—Used as a thickener but also plays a role in gluten free baking mixes.
- 2 T. Tapioca Flour—A starchy, slightly sweet, white flour made from the cassava root, so it is totally grain-free.
- ¼ t. Xanthan Gum—A natural carbohydrate that is milled into a powder and used in gluten free cooking and baking to bind, thicken, and emulsify gluten free ingredients.
By: Kim Macy, Miraval’s Pastry Chef
In Miraval’s newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, Executive Chef Justin Macy and his wife, Pastry Chef Kim Macy share their secrets for making delicious, healthy dishes. Here’s a sneak peek of some of Chef Kim’s easy tips to make your desserts with less fat and fewer calories. Pre-order Sweet & Savory Cooking now before it hits bookstores January 7, 2014 for more healthy cooking tips and one-of-a-kind recipes.
Sneak Peek of Sweet & Savory Cooking: Simple Tips to Reduce Calories and Fat in Baking•
• For a virtually fat-free pastry crust, I make a meringue crust. It’s a light and airy alternative and made with egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and a touch of vanilla extract. Be sure to only use no-bake fillings such as pastry creams, lemon curd or fruit compotes with this crust.
• For a creamy whip topping for any dessert, I make my pastry cream with nonfat milk as a low-fat alternative.
We are honored to be included on U.S. News & World Report's recent list of "Best Vacations for Health Nuts." A visit to Miraval is so much more than just a vacation, you can leave with the knowledge and tools to be able to make lasting changes for your health. Although Miraval offers specialists and programming focused on all aspects of wellness—mind, body, and spirit— we've included few sessions below that are dedicated to improving your physical health.
We hope you'll take a few minutes to vote in the 2013 SpaFinder Wellness Readers' Choice Awards. When you vote, you are automatically entered to win a stay at Miraval! Vote now >
Work with Miraval's registered dietitian, Junelle Lupiani, who specializes in weight management and the integration of nutrition in disease prevention. Explore how your nutrition and food choices are affecting your energy levels, quality of sleep, digestive issues, disease vulnerability, and overall well-being.
August 2013 Recipe of the Month
When it comes to eating healthy, sometimes the biggest obstacle we have to overcome is our craving for comfort food. For example, what's August without a backyard barbecue—and what's barbecue except an unholy trinity of fat, sugar and salt?
This recipe, featured in the August chapter of our new book Mindful Living Miraval, comes to the rescue with a full-flavored pork tenderloin that's perfect for a classic summer cookout. Served with the sinfully sweet grilled watermelon and fresh broccolini, this is a lean and flavorful way to celebrate the waning days of summer. Enjoy!