With freezing temperatures across the nation, we wanted to share some of our most popular Miraval soups to help you keep warm on a cold winter day! These soups, featured in Mindful Eating and our newest Miraval cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking, are packed with natural ingredients and tons of nutrient-rich vegetables. Enjoy!
Potato Leek Soup
Note from Executive Chef Justin Macy: Making a pot of this warming soup is an easy way to take home the taste of Miraval. When you puree the finished soup, the potatoes give it a lovely creamy texture without any cream. I like to use Yukon Golds, which are a medium-starch potato with a nice nutty flavor.
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 c. chopped leeks, white part only
- 2 c. chopped celery
- 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
It's officially awards season! With the 2014 Academy Award nominations announced yesterday, we wanted to share some of our favorite appetizer and cocktail recipes that are perfect for entertaining. These recipes are featured in Mindful Eating and our newest Miraval cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking. Enjoy!
Crab Wontons with Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 c. cream cheese
- 1/3 c. finely diced red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, thinly cut on the bias
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz. crab meat, picked over to remove any shell
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest
By: Kim Macy, Miraval’s Pastry Chef
In Miraval’s newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, my husband, Executive Chef Justin Macy and I share recipes and techniques for making delicious, healthy dishes. A big part of my approach to baking at Miraval is showing you don’t have to deprive yourself of good food – you just need to hold things in balance. Below are some of my favorite ways to easily add nutrition in baking. Enjoy!
• I often mix all-purpose with a whole-wheat flour to add more nutrition and nuttiness to cookies. My Pumpkin Spice Cookies are a great example of this. Get the recipe here >
• Using seeds, nuts, and dried fruits in baked goods is a great way to add anti-oxidants, nutrients, vitamins and essential oils. My Trail Mix Cookies are really easy and kid-friendly. Get the recipe here >
January 2014 Recipe of the Month
Miraval's newest cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking, is released this month and is a blend of two styles of cooking by Miraval’s Executive Chef Justin Cline Macy and Pastry Chef Kim Macy. Although they’re from two very different areas of the kitchen, this husband and wife team has come together to create a unique cookbook that will take you on an exciting journey of culinary delights that are sure to please the palate and respect the waistline. Order your copy now >
This month's recipe of Blue-Corn-Crusted Calamari Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette is featured in Sweet & Savory Cooking. Chef Justin Macy prefaces this recipe by saying, "If you haven't tried panko-style bread crumbs in your own kitchen, now is the time to do so. I use them a lot at Miraval. These Japanese-style dry bread crumbs are larger than the typical dried crumb, and they create a super-crunchy coating without absorbing too much oil." Enjoy!
Blue-Corn-Crusted Calamari Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. sambal oelek or other hot chili sauce
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
Happy New Year everyone! As we gear up for a wonderful New Year's Eve celebration here in Tucson, we wanted to give a shout out to our entire Miraval community around the country and the globe. 2013 has been a wonderful year for us here at Miraval and we hope it has been a memorable one for all of you as well! As we look forward to 2014, we wanted to take a moment and reflect on the last year of wellness tips shared on our blog. Here's our Top 10 - but as you know, this barely scratches the surface of all the wonderful tidbits, recipes, and tips you can find in our blog archive.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and mindful 2014. We hope to see you at Miraval!
Tips for a Better Night's Sleep