It's officially awards season! With the 2014 Academy Award nominations announced yesterday, we wanted to share some of our favorite appetizer and cocktail recipes that are perfect for entertaining. These recipes are featured in Mindful Eating and our newest Miraval cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking. Enjoy!
Crab Wontons with Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 c. cream cheese
- 1/3 c. finely diced red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, thinly cut on the bias
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz. crab meat, picked over to remove any shell
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest
By: Kim Macy, Miraval’s Pastry Chef
In Miraval’s newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, my husband, Executive Chef Justin Macy and I share recipes and techniques for making delicious, healthy dishes. A big part of my approach to baking at Miraval is showing you don’t have to deprive yourself of good food – you just need to hold things in balance. Below are some of my favorite ways to easily add nutrition in baking. Enjoy!
• I often mix all-purpose with a whole-wheat flour to add more nutrition and nuttiness to cookies. My Pumpkin Spice Cookies are a great example of this. Get the recipe here >
• Using seeds, nuts, and dried fruits in baked goods is a great way to add anti-oxidants, nutrients, vitamins and essential oils. My Trail Mix Cookies are really easy and kid-friendly. Get the recipe here >
January 2014 Recipe of the Month
Miraval's newest cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking, is released this month and is a blend of two styles of cooking by Miraval’s Executive Chef Justin Cline Macy and Pastry Chef Kim Macy. Although they’re from two very different areas of the kitchen, this husband and wife team has come together to create a unique cookbook that will take you on an exciting journey of culinary delights that are sure to please the palate and respect the waistline. Order your copy now >
This month's recipe of Blue-Corn-Crusted Calamari Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette is featured in Sweet & Savory Cooking. Chef Justin Macy prefaces this recipe by saying, "If you haven't tried panko-style bread crumbs in your own kitchen, now is the time to do so. I use them a lot at Miraval. These Japanese-style dry bread crumbs are larger than the typical dried crumb, and they create a super-crunchy coating without absorbing too much oil." Enjoy!
Blue-Corn-Crusted Calamari Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. sambal oelek or other hot chili sauce
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
On Sunday, Miraval's Pastry Chef Kim Macy led participants through a special hands-on baking class at PIRCH in Costa Mesa, California! Chef Kim shared two of her favorite recipes, Rich Gluten-Free Molten Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Peanut Butter Meringues. Both desserts are featured in Miraval's newest cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking (available for pre-order now!) Here are some of our favorite photos from the class. Enjoy!
By: Kim Macy, Pastry Chef
In Miraval’s newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, my husband, Executive Chef Justin Macy and I share recipes and techniques for making delicious, healthy dishes. Here is a sneak peek into some of my favorite secret ingredients that I use to add nutrition, and reduce calories and fat in my baking! Pre-order Sweet & Savory Cooking now before it hits bookstores January 7, 2014 for more healthy cooking tips and one-of-a-kind recipes mentioned below!
• Fresh seasonal berries are so versatile and you can add them to anything. A little jumble of berries adds height, color, flavor, with, of course, minimal calories and loads of nutrients. My favorite berries are raspberries, for their gorgeous color, sweet perfume, and ease of use – no steam or big seed to worry about. They are the perfect balance of so many good things!
• Yogurt is fantastic in baking because the acid which keeps the dough tender. I love to incorporate vanilla yogurt in place of sour cream to help keep the moist and flavor in cakes and scones. My strawberry pecan scones are a great dish using yogurt.