by Junelle Lupiani, R.D.
Traveling can be one of the hardest times to stick to healthy choices. If you're not enticed by pre-packaged salads or soggy sandwiches - the healthy options in airports might seem very bleak. So, my recommendation is to plan ahead. Pack these healthy snacks in your carry-on and feel confident in your ability to stay above the fray, stick to your guns, and give your body nutrients even while your mind is spinning with boarding calls, aisle numbers, and seat assignments.
Celery sticks & Miraval’s Carrot Peanut Butter
Miraval's signature carrot peanut butter is served daily during lunch - it's a favorite of Miraval's guests. And it's just plain yummy. Plus, it's packed with protein from the peanut butter and nutrients from the carrots. Low-cal and decadent, all in one. Here's the recipe --> The Famous Carrot Peanut Butter Recipe
Whether you're preparing for a casual dinner party or snacks for the office, our Spicy Soy Nut Pretzel Mix, from Miraval's Mindful Eating cookbook, can be made in advance and kept covered with plastic wrap for up to a day. Truth be told, we don't think it will last that long at your house—this addictive snack tends to disappear quickly!
Spicy Soy Nut Pretzel Mix
Makes 5 Cups; Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- 2 1/2 c. salted, small pretzel sticks
- 2 1/2 c. unsalted soy nuts (or any other raw nuts or combination of raw nuts, if desired)
- 1/4 c. agave syrup or honey
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Blackening Spice Blend (7 Tbsp. onion powder, 7 Tbsp. paprika, 6 Tbsp. ground black pepper, 6 Tbsp. dried oregano, 6 Tbsp. dried and crushed thyme, 4 Tbsp. garlic powder, 3 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt, 3 Tbsp. ground white pepper, 2 tsp. cayenne pepper)
PREHEAT the oven to 375ºF. Lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
Congratulations to our Week Two Winners: Jen Klinger, Vivien Foldes, and Lisa Johnston! Remember to enter the Month of Mindful each week for your chance to win amazing prizes this month! http://mindfulgiving.pgtb.me/6q2xH7
Sunday December 8th through Saturday December 14th, enter for your chance to win Week 2 prizes. 3 winners will receive our "Body" prize package which includes:
- 50-minute Phone or Skype Integrative Nutrition Consultation with Junelle Lupiani, R.D.
- A signed copy of Mindful Eating by Miraval – With over 200 healthful recipes teaching you how to cook and eat the Miraval way by expanding and learning more about one’s needs while bringing diet into balance
- A luxurious Miraval Spa Robe to help you relax and bring the spa experience into your home
- Miraval Swell Water Bottle – our favorite insulated, eco-friendly bottle to help you stay hydrated
- Red Flower Organic Purifying Body Wash, Moisturizing Body Lotion, and Revitalizing Sea Salt Scrub
- A selection of Deborah Lippmann holiday nail lacquer
- Exercise Stretch Band and Instruction Book
- A selection of La Bella Donna Cosmetics
This holiday season, impress your friends with these healthy alternatives to traditional holiday cookies. From Miraval’s new cookbook, Sweet & Savory Cooking, these three cookie recipes are easy to make and will surely impress at the parties and functions that inevitably fill our end-of-year calendars. Pre-order Sweet & Savory Cooking now before it hits bookstores January 7, 2014 for more healthy cooking tips and one-of-a-kind recipes.
Trail Mix Cookies
Makes 3 Dozen Cookies
- 4 Tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ c. light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ c. raw cane sugar
- ½ c. honey or agave nectar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. rolled oats
- ½ c. mixed seeds and/or nuts (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)
- ½ c. mixed dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, etc.)
- ¼ c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
HEAT the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment
IN a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, and cane sugar until smooth. Add the honey and egg whites, scrape down the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula, and continue to mix for another minute.
Miraval's newest book, Sweet & Savory Cooking, a new cookbook featuring recipes that reflect Miraval’s commitment to providing guests with the tools to create and maintain clean, healthful lifestyles, is available now for pre-order. The Miraval culinary experience is rooted in mindfulness, the cornerstone of the resort’s overarching philosophy, and the recipes in this new book are an extension of that value with easy to follow, incredibly flavorful and effortlessly healthy dishes. Hitting bookshelves on January 7, 2014, the cookbook is penned by Miraval’s talented culinary duo - Executive Chef Justin Cline Macy and Pastry Chef Kim Macy - who also happen to be husband and wife. Justin and Kim bring their respective gifts to the forefront as Justin shares his tips and tricks for savory, satiating entrees, slimming soups, salads and sides, and delectable appetizers while Kim shares her well-kept secrets for sweet, decadent desserts and rustic breads.