AUGUST 2014 RECIPE OF THE MONTH
This month's recipe Paella is featured in Miraval's Sweet & Savory Cookbook.
There are as many versions of Spanish Paella as there are cooks in the world. Try making Chef Justin Macy's in the comforts of your own home.
makes 4 servings
- 2 c. cooked saffron rice (recipe to follow)
- 1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. chopped garlic
- 12 trimmed haricot verts or green beans, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. diced red bell pepper
- ¼ c. sliced Spanish chorizo
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 8 oz. skinless boneless chicken breast, simmered in lightly salted water until cooked and shredded with a fork
- 8 jumbo shrimp 13/15, peeled and deveined (remove tail for easier eating)
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ c. chicken stock
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, cored and sliced very thin
- ¼ tsp. hot (picante) smoked paprika
Have your saffron rice cooked and cooled on the side for when it’s time to pull the dish together.
Heat the oven to 400°F. Heat a large, deep skillet over high heat. Add the oil, shallots, and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring rapidly so the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the haricot verts, red bell peppers, and chorizo and sauté for another minute.
Add the white wine and cook until the liquid has reduced to just a few spoonfuls. Add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, shrimp, chicken stock, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 minute.
Add the saffron rice, give it a good stir, and then cover the skillet with tin foil. Place the skillet in the hot oven and cook to heat through and marry the flavors, 8 or 9 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover, and stir in the chopped scallion. Divide the paella evenly into four bowls, top with one or two thin slices of jalapeño, and finish with a pinch of hot smoked paprika.
Calories: 390 total fat: 15 g Carbs: 28 g Dietary Fiber: 2 g protein: 28 g
makes 6 cups
- 2 c. basmati rice (dry)
- 5 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. saffron thread
Fill a medium-sized sauce pot with the water and bring just to a simmer. Add saffron and the 2 cups of rice. Reduce the flame to a medium heat and cook for 16 minutes. Pull off heat, give it a good stir, and cover the pot with tin foil. Steam rice for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve later.
Serving Size: per 1/3 cup calories: 60 total fat: 0 g carbs: 14 g dietary fiber: 1 g