From Miraval's Mindful Eating Cookbook, this dish is so jam packed with Tucson's traditional flavors, your first taste will transport you straight to Miraval! Try this recipe at home and let us know how you like it by commenting below!
SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
MAKES 1 QUART; SERVING SIZE: 1 CUP
- ¼ tsp. Miraval Oil Blend (page 19) or canola oil
- ¼ c. chopped carrot
- ¼ c. chopped celery
- ¼ c. chopped red onion
- ¼ c. chopped Roasted Red Bell Pepper (page 18)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped roasted poblano chili pepper or canned poblano pepper
- 1½ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ c. chopped seeded tomato
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 qt. Chicken Stock (page 20) or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. chopped, roasted, or grilled chicken breast
- 4 tsp. chopped avocado, garnish
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- 4 tsp. grated pepper jack or Cotija cheese, garnish
- 4 lime wedges, garnish
- 12 Toasted Tortilla Chips, garnish
HEAT a medium pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the carrot, celery, onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the tomato, cumin, chili powder, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and chicken, stir well, and bring to a boil.
REDUCE the heat and cook until the carrots are tender and the flavors have married, 10 minutes.
TO serve, ladle a half cup of the soup into each of four bowls. Garnish each serving with the avocado, cilantro, cheese, lime wedges, and 3 tortilla chips. Serve immediately.
CALORIES: 200; TOTAL FAT: 8 G; CARBOHYDRATE: 12 G; DIETARY FIBER: 1 G; PROTEIN: 21 G