Staff Accountant - Full Time
The Staff Accountant will assist the Director of Finance and Assistant Director of Finance in daily accounting operations for Miraval Arizona Resort and Spa, Miraval Holding and The Villas at Miraval. The Staff Accountant is responsible for the processing of financial information, financial reporting and financial analysis through the performance of various accounting-related duties, either personnaly or in conjunction with other Accounting Department staff.
The Staff Accountant will prepare timely financial reports and billing to Villa owners, maintain and audit all accounting records related to the property, collect and follow-up on delinquent accounts, oversee internal control procedures and ensure compliance with all Federal, State, Local regulations and governing documents.
- Assist in compilation of monthly financial statements
- Perform daily audit and analysis of overnight revenue processing
- Daily Revenue Report
- Market Segmentation Report
- Verify credit card information reporting for accuracy
- Verify daily cash deposit and audit cash and cash transactions
- Facilitate travel agent commission inquiries and respond to guest inquiries
- Prepare monthly State and local Sales and Use Tax returns
- Monitor Accounts Payable timeliness and accuracy of payments, statement reconciliations and vendor inquiries
- Support Assistant Director of Finance and Director of Finance in management of accounting office functions including training, daily supervision, staff development, participation in committees and presence within the resort community
- Present suggestions for improvements and meaningful solutions to finance issues, as they occur
- Place fixed assets in service in the fixed asset module, run depreciation for book and tax, and prepare depreciation forecasts.
- Perform monthly closes.
- Reconcile package variances daily and work with appropriate departments to correct in a timely manner.
- Reconcile commissions submitted through payroll against collections in Spa and Programs.
- Maintain calendar of licenses and permits ensuring all permits are current and are renew on a regular basis.
- Create and distribute Daily Flash Report and review variances with departmental managers.
- Maintain accurate listing of current contracts and maintain an electronic collection of current executed contracts.
- Prepare monthly account billings for Villa owners.
- Perform F&B and Retail inventory checks.
- Record journal entries and prepare reconciliations and supporting schedules.
- Assist with internal control documentation and testing.
- Maintain and review of general ledger accounts and bank statements to ensure financial information is available and accurate.
- Assist in the establishment, documentation and maintenance of Standard Accounting Policies and Procedures and internal controls for the accounting operations.
- Assist with internal and external financial audits and ensure timely delivery of information requested.
- Deliver a consistently high standard of customer service within the department and among departments.
- Assist with special projects and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Two years of accounting experience in a hotel/resort environment
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting required
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Exceptional proficiency in Excel
- Strong PC skills to include Word and back office/financial accounting systems
- Ability to assemble, analyze, understand integrated spread sheets and complex technical information
- Effective organizational and prioritization skills necessary to meet deadlines
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated team player
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability for manual dexterity to seize, grasp, turn and hold objects with hands
- Must be able to work stationary at a computer screen for long periods of time
- Requires ability to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Occasional kneeling, bending, crouching and climbing is required
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly to enforce policy
- Requires ability to lift and carry objects of up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to endure outdoor elements (heat, cold, wind, etc.) for short periods of time
- Requires physical stamina to walk to various resort locations on a sporadic basis