COOK - FULL TIME
Prepares, mis en place and needed ingredients for the soups, vegetables and meats as well as other hot or cold items on the line or pantry as the recipes for the evening menus indicate, while over seen by the PM Lead Cook I, Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef. Understands all seasonings and portion controls. Is responsible for either hot or cold lines during service and reports directly to the shift Sous Chef.
Is responsible for the sanitary and cleanliness of his station and other areas where needed in the kitchen. Understands and is learning the safe use of knives and the safe application of all equipment, tools in the kitchen. Cook 1 understands the temperature controls and adjustments for all stoves, grills, broilers and ovens. Along with specific job performance, other areas of general performance are evaluated; observe all kitchen rules, attitude and personal conduct.
- Checklists for opening and closing as per the chef’s instructions.
- Reading all reports concerning station as supervisor instructs.
- Understanding all cooking techniques recipe require.
- Use and safety of all equipment and the proper cleaning of all equipment and area.
- Proper ingredient use
- Understanding recipes and following method properly
- Must follow the safety, health and sanitation rules that apply to the kitchen and F&B department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chef or immediate supervisors.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly work area.
- At least 2 years kitchen experience.
- Must understand all aspects of the kitchen, kitchen tools and equipment.
- Must be able to design specials for daily menu.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EXECUTIVE SOUS CHEF - FULL TIME
Primary responsibility is to assist the Executive Chef in setting the leadership standard in providing direction and supervision to culinary staff in the Kitchen's daily operations including but not limited to Food Service. The Executive Sous Chef is the lead Manager on Duty for the Kitchen and with the Director serves as a role model of personal and professional values across Miraval. The Executive Sous Chef oversees the coordination of all guest nutritional needs, staff scheduling, product and supplies management and the attention to the details in the Miraval's Culinary Standards.
- Champions the policies, procedures and daily operating standards for each department in the spa as well as for the culinary operation as a whole.
- Following the direction of the Executive Chef, the Executive Sous Chef, coordinates and assists in the refinement of policies, procedures, service protocols and job descriptions for each department and position in the Culinary area.
- Works with the Executive Chef to manage the Human Resource aspects of performance appraisals and employee development including; documentation, assessment, measurement and communication for exceptional results.
- Stays abreast of emerging food trends in the Industry and recommends how they can be integrated into the Miraval's nutritional criteria.
- Maintains a cooperative and professional work relationship with all auxiliary resort departments.
- Assists in developing and implementing budgets, monitors revenues and operating costs.
- Assists with marketing and public relations to help create and present a marketable facility.
- Manages ESHA Nutritional system and its use to take better advantage of the various tools.
- Perform other duties, tasks and projects as assigned by the Director.
- With the Executive Chef, is responsible for overall direction, coordination, evaluation and team building of the Culinary staff.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable state and federal laws.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Safety and security of guests, staff and all Miraval property
- Strong leadership and organizational skills necessary to manage various departments as well as total Culinary operation.
- Possess business and financial skills to assist in developing and analyzing budgets, management and financial reports, cost analysis, etc.
- Must display appropriate social skills, congeniality, confidentially and discretion necessary to make guests feel comfortable and welcome and serve as a role model for employees.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to mentor, teach, supervise, motivate, monitor, encourage and support the advancement and continuity of staff.
- Must possess strong appreciation and skills of attention to detail, completion of tasks in a time sensitive manner, ability to manage various tasks and projects and ability to prioritize.
- Previous Chef or Sous Chef experience preferred, 3-5 years of direct kitchen supervision in a full service, large volume, resort setting required.
- Culinary Hospitality Education and other resort experience a plus flexible availability.
FOOD & BEVERAGE DIRECTOR - FULL TIME/SALARIED
The F&B Director will plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of all F&B staff to include AM/PM Servers, Server Assistants (Bussers), Expediters, Bartenders and Hosts. Reporting to the Resort Manager, he or she will be responsible for allocating the resources of the Food & Beverage division to ensure a quality and memorable experience for guests who patronize our signature dining room, lounge, poolside cabana, coffee/snack bar and room service. The F&B Director will work in conjunction with the Executive Chef and Conference Services Manager to ensure that group/banquet functions are executed according to group specifications and expectations. He or she will also work closely with our Nutritionists and other departments within the Programs division to ensure that guest dietary needs are addressed, and that food-related activities and programs such as cooking demonstrations, tastings and meal-time lectures run smoothly and effectively.
- Select, supervise, delegate responsibility to and provide training for all staff.
- Meet regularly with and provide feedback to staff members to ensure that individual and departmental performance goals are being accomplished.
- Create and manage departmental schedules to ensure balanced use of staffing resources and appropriate coverage for all areas.
- Develop and update SOP’s, training manuals, policies and procedures for all F&B operations. Ensure information is accurate and complete as needs change and processes evolve.
- Perform functions for various departmental positions as needed, according to operational demands.
- Initiate incentive programs and recognition activities to keep staff motivated and engaged.
- Use and maintain all channels of communication such as log books, memos and white boards to ensure all staff are up to date on critical information.
- Ensure guest satisfaction through appropriate resolution of all issues and complaints.
- Keep GM and Resort Manager apprised of serious guest matters, and forward appropriate information to other management staff for follow-up as needed.
- Review and follow up on issues outlined in guest comment cards and share information with staff for training or recognition purposes.
- Proactively liaise with other key departments on a regular basis to ensure clear understanding of promotions, packages, procedures and availability of resort offerings.
- Ensure accurate communication of information to guests regarding resort services, facilities and operating hours.
- Touch tables and interact frequently with guests on an informal basis to ensure total satisfaction with resort services.
- Develop and maintain a unique, multi-faceted restaurant environment that offers a comfortable dining experience.
- Maintain the ambiance of Miraval through appropriate symmetry, uniformity, cleanliness and equipment control by daily inspection and notification for correction to appropriate personnel.
- Continuously inspect service standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure that each internal and external guest receives anticipatory service.
- Control seating with regard to service standards, guest needs, and dining room and culinary capabilities.
- Assist service staff with all duties required to insure service standards through "hands on" management. Investigate and resolve food quality and service complaints.
- Record all information regarding revenue, amounts, covers, challenges and pertinent communications of guest and staff in nightly shift report to Resort Manager.
- Prepare daily and weekly payroll sheets in addition to daily accounting procedures as required.
- Review financial transactions and expenses in order to optimize operating efficiency and establish effective cost controls to insure budget limitations are not exceeded. Develop and implement processes and procedures to eliminate and prevent waste.
- Estimate food service costs, purchase supplies and requisition goods from the storeroom to ensure that the department is always at optimum stock levels.
- Schedule and participate in frequent departmental meetings and training sessions. Attend all required organizational meetings.
- Meet weekly with Sales/Marketing to review BEO's for future banquets & special events.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Hospitality Management or a related field of study
- Extensive knowledge of high-end Food & Beverage operations, to include menu development and wine selection (knowledge of spa cuisine a plus)
- A minimum of 3 years of F&B Management experience in a senior role within a luxury hotel or resort
- Up-to-date certifications for responsible alcohol service, safe food handling and sanitation
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong knowledge of local labor laws and health codes.
- Professional appearance, with exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills to include strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and expert-level knowledge of POS systems (Micros and Visual One preferred)
- Exceptional people skills and ability to connect with diverse groups and individuals
- Highly organized with ability to successfully manage multiple and competing priorities
- Must be extremely detail oriented, with exceptional leadership, follow through and project management skills
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Thorough understanding of F&B operations and management as applied to the hotel, spa and resort industry.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to effectively train, coach, evaluate, and correct employee behavior.
- Ability work flexible and extended hours as required by the operations of the resort.
- Familiarization with resort industry success measures and strategies for product positioning and brand management.
- Broad-based, up-to-date knowledge of hospitality trends, tools and resources.
- Ability to write effective business communications, summaries and reports using both prescribed and creative formats.
- Ability to effectively monitor and control expenses, allocate financial resources and maintain budget restrictions.
- Accelerated decision-making and problem-solving abilities, utilizing factual information, company policies, and personal judgment through experience.
- Strong organizational skills, with emphasis on attention to detail and continuous follow-up.
- Ability to multi-task, manage interruptions, establish work priorities, handle stress and effectively matriculate in a fast-paced, frequently-changing environment.
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
PASTRY CHEF - FULL TIME/SALARIED
Supervising Pastry Department and responsible for overseeing shift and employees.
- Assist in menu and recipe development
- Maintain a profitable food cost; meeting or surpassing projected guidelines
- Be aware of and supervise labor hours, to adhere to labor cost guidelines
- Supervise food preparation and service for each day, to meet or exceed established standards and consistency
- Continuously train all culinary staff members
- Maintain pars and production guides for all kitchen employees
- Maintain the cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen
- Continuously check the plate presentations; use of proper recipes and portions of food to specification
- Responsible for creating new desserts, bread, pastries and daily specials, prepared within Miraval’s culinary guidelines
- Must keep abreast of the new dessert, bread and pastry ideas in order to keep Miraval on the cutting edge of spa culinary focus
- Will adhere to and enforce all company policies
- Manages subordinates to ensure consistency in preparation of food, recipes are adhered to and proper food plating
- Responsible for managing the overall direction, coordination, scheduling, payroll, hiring, disciplining and evaluation of all pastry employees
- Set a professional leadership manner as an example for pastry crew and other kitchen staff
- Minimum of 2 years pastry school education with a certification
- 5 years of practical pastry experience in an upscale environment
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Able to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Able to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Must be able to follow directions and make sense and follow recipes and methods of cooking, as directed by the Chef.
- Must be able to differentiate between right and wrong procedures
- Must have a certified Food Handler’s Permit issued by the Pima County Health Department
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and ascend and descend stairs, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste and smell
- Must regularly life and or move up to ten pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions
- Noise level is moderate – normal restaurant activities