COOK - FULL TIME
Prepares, mis en place and needed ingredients for the soups, vegetables and meats as well as other hot or cold items on the line or pantry as the recipes for the evening menus indicate, while over seen by the PM Lead Cook I, Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef. Understands all seasonings and portion controls. Is responsible for either hot or cold lines during service and reports directly to the shift Sous Chef.
Is responsible for the sanitary and cleanliness of his station and other areas where needed in the kitchen. Understands and is learning the safe use of knives and the safe application of all equipment, tools in the kitchen. Cook 1 understands the temperature controls and adjustments for all stoves, grills, broilers and ovens. Along with specific job performance, other areas of general performance are evaluated; observe all kitchen rules, attitude and personal conduct.
- Checklists for opening and closing as per the chef’s instructions.
- Reading all reports concerning station as supervisor instructs.
- Understanding all cooking techniques recipe require.
- Use and safety of all equipment and the proper cleaning of all equipment and area.
- Proper ingredient use
- Understanding recipes and following method properly
- Must follow the safety, health and sanitation rules that apply to the kitchen and F&B department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chef or immediate supervisors.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly work area.
- At least 2 years kitchen experience.
- Must understand all aspects of the kitchen, kitchen tools and equipment.
- Must be able to design specials for daily menu.
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SOUS CHEF - FULL TIME
Primary responsibility is to assist the Executive Chef in setting the leadership standard in providing direction and supervision to culinary staff in the Kitchen's daily operations including but not limited to Food Service. The Executive Sous Chef is the lead Manager on Duty for the Kitchen and with the Director serves as a role model of personal and professional values across Miraval. The Executive Sous Chef oversees the coordination of all guest nutritional needs, staff scheduling, product and supplies management and the attention to the details in the Miraval's Culinary Standards.
- Champions the policies, procedures and daily operating standards for each department in the spa as well as for the culinary operation as a whole.
- Following the direction of the Executive Chef, the Executive Sous Chef, coordinates and assists in the refinement of policies, procedures, service protocols and job descriptions for each department and position in the Culinary area.
- Works with the Executive Chef to manage the Human Resources aspects of performance appraisals and employee development including; documentation, assessment, measurement and communication for exceptional results.
- Stays abreast of emerging food trends in the Industry and recommends how they can be integrated into the Miraval's nutritional criteria.
- Maintains a cooperative and professional work relationship with all auxiliary resort departments.
- Assists in developing and implementing budgets, monitors revenues and operating costs.
- Assists with marketing and public relations to help create and present a marketable facility.
- Manages ESHA Nutritional system and its use to take better advantage of the various tools.
- Perform other duties, tasks and projects as assigned by the Director.
- With the Executive Chef, is responsible for overall direction, coordination, evaluation and team building of the Culinary staff.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable state and federal laws.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Safety and security of guests, staff and all Miraval property
- Strong leadership and organizational skills necessary to manage various departments as well as total Culinary operation.
- Possess business and financial skills to assist in developing and analyzing budgets, management and financial reports, cost analysis, etc.
- Must display appropriate social skills, congeniality, confidentially and discretion necessary to make guests feel comfortable and welcome and serve as a role model for employees.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to mentor, teach, supervise, motivate, monitor, encourage and support the advancement and continuity of staff.
- Must possess strong appreciation and skills of attention to detail, completion of tasks in a time sensitive manner, ability to manage various tasks and projects and ability to prioritize.
- Full time, flexible availability.
- Previous Chef or Sous Chef experience preferred, 3-5 years of direct kitchen supervision in a full service, large volume, resort setting required.
- Culinary Hospitality Education and other resort experience a plus.
- Possess fluent use of the English language.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members of the Media and relate the Miraval Experience in an authentic and personal manner.
- Ability to develop forecasts and analyze financial statements.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, staff and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to perform and record accurate and timely inventories over a variety of goods and supplies.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to evaluate data from a variety of sources to establish trends, recognize patterns and realize opportunities.
- Ability to think and reason strategically to establish goals and objectives on a regular basis.
- Ability to assess, recommend and act to maintain standards and meet expectations.
- Ability and sensitivity to customize and individualize responses to situations for each guest or staff member in alignment to the standards and values of the Culinary and F&B and Miraval.
- While performing the duties of this job, regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee sometimes is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance and ascend or descend flights of stairs and ramps.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,and depth perception.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to an indoor climate controlled environment and frequently exposed to a variable outdoor environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate