COOK II - FULL TIME
Miraval is now hiring an experienced Cook II who has a genuine passion for cooking and the initiative to grow their talent alongside some of the best in the industry. Join an award winning team as they create and prepare unique and inspiring spa cuisine in a world class resort. If you are dedicated to your craft, you want to positively contribute to the team, have the opportunity to be creative and bring new ideas to the kitchen then we want to hear from you.
- requires 3-5 years of related experience in a fast-paced resort, hotel or free-standing restaurant with a high volume of upscale food production.
- Must be able to follow recipes and interpret directions.
- must be skilled in the preparation of hot and cold food items including but not limited to: composed salads, dressings, hot and cold soups, starches, vegetables, meats, poultry, vegetarian dishes and seafood.
- Able to work both buffet and ala carte food preparation stations.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills are a must as well as the ability to work quickly and efficiently while maintaining cleanliness in the department.
- Must be proficient with kitchen knives and related equipment, and supply their own knives.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Cook II is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste and smell.
- must regularly lift and or move up to (20) pounds, frequently lift and or move up to (50) pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to (100) pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
- Must be able to read, understand and carry-out recipes and have basic understanding of math as it relates to recipes and conversions.
Full Time Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, 401(k) with 25% employer match, employer paid life, short-term and long-term disability, resort discounts and use of the resort facilities and programs.
EXECUTIVE CHEF - FULL TIME/SALARIED
Plan, organize, coordinate and oversee all culinary and dining service related operations to ensure an extraordinary guest experience within budgetary guidelines.Conceptualize and execute daily specials and seasonal menus that offer delicious, eye-appealing, satisfying and healthful dishes in conjunction with Miraval’s nutritional approach.
- Coordinate and assist in the refinement and implementation of policies, procedures and protocols for all positions in the Culinary division.
- Review guest feedback and address as necessary. Investigate and resolve food quality and service complaints.
- Interact with guests to ensure satisfaction.
- Drive employee performance and ensure their on-going individual development.
- Stay abreast of emerging industry trends make recommendations for integration in Miraval’s nutritional criteria.
- Oversee and/or conduct daily cooking demonstrations and Chef’s dinners for resort guests.
- Maintain cleanliness, safety, organization and equipment control by daily kitchen inspection and notification for correction to appropriate personnel.
- Select a caring staff with the highest qualifications to meet and exceed the service standards established by the organization.
- Engender a strong team culture and a positive, motivating environment throughout the kitchen.
- Ensure that all food is prepared according to Miraval recipes and specifications while monitoring taste, visual appeal and portioning.
- Generate staffing schedules on a weekly basis that are in alignment with current forecasts; Control labor costs and overtime.
- Prepare daily and weekly payroll sheets in addition to daily accounting procedures as required.
- Review inventory and expenses in order to optimize operating efficiency.
- Establish effective cost controls to insure budget limitations are not exceeded.
- Develop and implement processes and procedures to promote recycling and sustainability and to eliminate and prevent waste.
- Emphasize safety throughout all areas of the culinary operation and ensure practice of basic sanitation, food rotation, cooler cleanliness, and kitchen etiquette throughout department.
- Schedule and participate in frequent departmental meetings and training sessions. Attend all required organizational meetings.
- Meet weekly with Conference Services, Sales and Programs Departments to review BEO's and arrangements for future group activities & special guest events.
- Demonstrate the highest levels of leadership, creativity, integrity and resourcefulness as it relates to safety, quality, consistency and profitability.
- Perform other job related duties and special Corporate projects as needed.
- 5-10 years of senior culinary management experience, preferably as an Executive Chef in a destination spa or resort environment.
- Background will ideally include in-depth knowledge of spa cuisine, fine dining, ethnic cooking, and knowledge of vegan, vegetarian and other healthy, progressive and alternative cooking styles.
- Professional, self-directed and well-organized with a proven track record for engendering guest and employee satisfaction.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills, necessary to manage a complex operation.
- Business and financial acumen necessary for developing and analyzing budget, financial reports, cost analysis, etc.
- Appropriate social skills, congeniality, confidentiality and discretion necessary to make guests feel comfortable and welcome and to serve as a role model for resort staff.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to mentor, teach, supervise, motivate, monitor, encourage and support the advancement and continuity of staff.
- Strong skills for and attention to delivering quality, following up on details, and completing tasks with a sense of urgency.
Executive Sous Chef - Full Time/Salaried
Primary responsibility is to assist the Executive Chef in setting the leadership standard in providing direction and supervision to culinary staff in the Kitchen's daily operations including but not limitied to Food Service.The Executive Sous Chef is the lead Manager on Duty for the Kitchen and with the Director serves as a role model of personal and professional values across Miraval.The Exective Sous Chef oversees the coordination of all guest nutritional needs, staff scheduling, product and supplies management and the attention to the details in the Miraval's Culinary Standards.
- Champions the policies, procedures anddaily operating standards for each department in the spa as well as for the culinary operation as a whole.
- Following the direction of the Executive Chef, the Executive Sous Chef, coordinates and assists in the refinement of policies, procedures, service protocols and job descriptions for each department and position in the Culinary area.
- Works with the Exective Chef to manage the Human Resouce aspects of performance appraisals and employee development including; documentation, assessment, measurement and communication for exceptional results.
- Stays abreast of emerging food trends in the Industry and reccomends how they can be integrated into the Miraval's nutritional criteria.
- Maintains a cooperative and professional work relationship with all auxiliary resort departments.
- Assists in developing and implementing budgets, monitors revenues and operating costs.
- Assists with marketing and public relations to help create and present a marketable facility.
- Manages ESHA Nutritional system and its use to take better advantage of the various tools.
- Perform other duties, tasks and projects as assigned by the Director.
- With the Executive Chef, is responsible for overall direction, coordination, evaluation and team building of the Culinary staff.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable state and federal laws.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Safety and security of guests, staff and all Miraval property
- Strong leadership and organizational skills necessary to manage various departments as well as total Culinary operation.
- Possess business and financial skills to assist in developing and analyzing budgets, management and financial reports, cost analysis, etc.
- Must display appropriate social skills, congeniality, confidentially and discretion necessary to make guests feel comfortable and welcome and serve as a role model for employees.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to mentor, teach, supervise, motivate, monitor, encourage and support the advancement and continuity of staff.
- Must possess strong appreciation and skills of attention to detail, completion of tasks in a time sensitive manner, ability to manage various tasks and projects and ability to priortize.
- Full time, flexible availibility.
- Previous Chef or Sous Chef experience preferred, 3-5 years of direct kitchen supervision in a full service, large volume, resort setting required.
- Culinary Hospitality Education and other resort experience a plus.
- Possess fluent use of the English language.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members of the Media and relate the Miraval Experience in an authentic and personal manner.
- Ability to develop forecasts and analyze financial statements.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, staff and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to perform and record accurate and timely inventories over a variety of goods and supplies.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to evaluate data from a variety of sources to establish trends, recognize patterns and realize opportunities.
- Ability to think and reason stratigically to establish goals and objectives on a regular basis.
- Ability to assess, recommend and act to maintain standards and meet expectations.
- Ability and sensitivity to customize and individualize reponses to situations for each guest or staff member in alignment to the standards and values of the Culinary and F&B and Miraval.
- While performing the duties of this job, regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell.The employee sometimes is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance and ascend or descend flights of stairs and ramps.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than fifty (50) pounds.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,and depth perception.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to an indoor climate controlled environment and frequently exposed to a variable outdoor environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
PASTRY CHEF - FULL TIME/SALARIED
Supervising Pastry Department and responsible for overseeing shift and employees.
- Assist in menu and recipe development
- Maintain a profitable food cost; meeting or surpassing projected guidelines
- Be aware of and supervise labor hours, to adhere to labor cost guidelines
- Supervise food preparation and service for each day, to meet or exceed established standards and consistency
- Continuously train all culinary staff members
- Maintain pars and production guides for all kitchen employees
- Maintain the cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen
- Continuously check the plate presentations; use of proper recipes and portions of food to specification
- Responsible for creating new desserts, bread, pastries and daily specials, prepared within Miraval’s culinary guidelines
- Must keep abreast of the new dessert, bread and pastry ideas in order to keep Miraval on the cutting edge of spa culinary focus
- Will adhere to and enforce all company policies
- Manages subordinates to ensure consistency in preparation of food, recipes are adhered to and proper food plating
- Responsible for managing the overall direction, coordination, scheduling, payroll, hiring, disciplining and evaluation of all pastry employees
- Set a professional leadership manner as an example for pastry crew and other kitchen staff
- Minimum of 2 years pastry school education with a certification
- 5 years of practical pastry experience in an upscale environment
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Able to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Able to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Able to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Must be able to follow directions and make sense and follow recipes and methods of cooking, as directed by the Chef.
- Must be able to differentiate between right and wrong procedures
- Must have a certified Food Handler’s Permit issued by the Pima County Health Department
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and ascend and descend stairs, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; talk or hear; and taste and smell
- Must regularly life and or move up to ten pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions
- Noise level is moderate – normal restaurant activities
PASTRY COOK - FULL TIME
Prepares ingredients for the desserts as the recipes indicate with the instruction while over seen by the Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef. Understands all flavorings and portion controls. Is responsible for either hot or cold desserts during service and reports directly to the shift Pastry Lead. Is responsible for the sanitary and cleanliness of his station and other areas where needed in the kitchen. Understands and is learning the safe use of knives and the safe application of all equipment, tools in the kitchen. Cook 1 understands the temperature controls and adjustments for all stoves, grills, broilers and ovens. Along with specific job performance, other areas of general performance are evaluated; observe all kitchen rules, attitude and personal conduct.
- Checklists for opening and closing as per the Chef’s instructions.
- Reading all reports concerning station as supervisor instructs.
- Understanding all cooking techniques recipe require.
- Use and safety of all equipment and the proper cleaning of all equipment and area.
- Proper ingredient use
- Understanding recipes and following method properly
- Must follow the safety, health and sanitation rules that apply to the kitchen and F&B department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chef or immediate supervisors.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly work area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least 3 years kitchen pastry experience.
- Understand all aspects of the kitchen, kitchen tools and equipment.
- Must be able to design specials for daily menu.