Sky Island: A Sense of Place with the University of Arizona
Available for private groups of 4 people
Become intimately familiar with the rich diversity of species found in the Sky Island of the Catalina Mountains –the mountain range that Miraval calls home. Ecologically, southern Arizona is internationally known for its sky islands which are mountains in ranges isolated by valleys in which other ecosystems are located. These unique and vibrant ecosystems draw some of the most acclaimed scientists and geologists in the world and now you can spend the day with the experts and learn makes this region of our country so astounding.
This Once-In-A-Lifetime Experience Includes:
- Transportation to and from Miraval Resort for all excursions
- Lecture at Miraval with University of Arizona Expert: Exploring the Catalina Highway!
Day 1 – Mt. Lemmon Excursion
- Uplift and Subduction: The Formation of Sky Island: The Catalinas provide a rare glimpse into the depths of the Earth’s crust and lead us into a discussion of southern Arizona sky islands in the context of past and present motions of the Earth’s tectonic plates, development of the Rocky Mountains, and formation of the Basin and Range Province.
- The Ecology and Evolution of a Sky Island: Gradients of Environment and the Influence of Drought and Flame: The drive up Mt. Lemmon is a delight of floral and faunal diversity – representing in 30 miles the bioclimatic regions you would find while traveling from Mexico to Canada. The natural laboratory of the Tucson Basin and the slopes of the Catalina Mountains inspired the modern field of ecology, and significant stories of the past are faithfully recorded in trees. Dendrochronology – the study of tree rings – reveals intriguing ecological patterns. Explore how these patterns relate to larger global issues and gain a better understanding of the history of fire.
Day 2 – Biosphere 2 Excursion
- Miraval Biosphere 2 Tour: This one-of-a-kind facility sits on a ridge at a cool elevation of nearly 4000 feet and is surrounded by a magnificent natural desert preserve. Come experience the remarkable Biosphere 2 which Time Life Books recently named one of the 50 must see "Wonders of the World". See why visitors from around the globe journey here for this unique adventure not found anywhere else. Discover real-time research on the future of our planet as it unfolds in the specially designed mini-world.
PLUS: Bountiful Earth Outdoor Spa Treatment
Price: $599++ per person (Minimum of 4 guests required)
Please call at Miraval Advisor at 800.232.3969 to add this experience to your Miraval package