Recipe of the Month: Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Pineapple Salsa
July 2013 Recipe of the Month
This recipe, featured in Miraval’s Mindful Eating Cookbook, is the perfect, healthy alternative to hot dogs this 4th of July. Ahi tuna, paired with our Roasted Pineapple Salsa, is a smart, protein-packed choice for an alfresco meal. If fresh ahi isn’t available, substitute any firm, mild-flavored fish, such as mahimahi. Enjoy!
Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 four-ounce ahi tuna fillets
- 4 tsp. Sedona Spice Rub (page 23)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Miraval Oil Blend (page 19) or canola oil
- 1 recipe Roasted Pineapple Salsa (recipe follows)
- 1 c. Dark Chocolate, Cherry, and Orange Risotto (page 138) or Basic Jasmine Rice (page 15)
- Lightly coat each fillet on both sides with 1 tsp. of the spice rub.
- Preheat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the fish, shaking to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook until the fish is just done but still rare, 2 to 3 minutes, depending upon the thickness.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of risotto or jasmine rice onto the center of each plate. Remove the fish from the pan and place on the rice. Spoon the salsa onto each plate and serve immediately.
Calories: 233; Total Fat: 5 G; Carbohydrate: 25 G; Dietary Fiber: 2 G; Protein: 24 G
Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Makes 1 Cup
- 1 c. peeled, fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 c. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint or basil
- Preheat a heavy thick-bottomed medium skillet over high heat. Add the pineapple and cook undisturbed until caramelized, 30 to 40 seconds. (The pineapple will make a little “shriek” as it hits the pan.) Cook, stirring, until the pineapple is charred on the outside, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add the juice, and cook, stirring, until the liquid is almost evaporated and a thick syrup forms in the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the pineapple and syrup into a small bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, stir to combine, and let rest until ready to serve.