February 2013 Recipe of the Month
We picked this recipe from Miraval's Mindful Eating Cookbook for its robust flavor profile and aesthetically pleasing presentation...enjoy!
MOZZARELLA AND TOMATO-BASIL CAPRESE FLATBREAD
Makes 1 Serving
- 1/12 recipe (1 serving) Basic Flatbread Dough (see below)
- 1 Tbsp. Herb Pesto (see below)
- 4 thin slices Roma tomato (about half of an average-sized Roma tomato)
- 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
PREHEAT the oven to 400°F.
PLACE one flatbread dough round on a work surface. Spoon the pesto sauce over the dough, spreading to coat evenly, and layer with the remaining ingredients. Place the flatbread on a baking sheet and bake until the dough is crisp and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
TRANSFER the flatbread to a cutting board, cut into four wedges, and serve immediately.
CALORIES: 250; TOTAL FAT: 10 G; CARBOHYDRATE: 32 G; DIETARY FIBER 4 G; PROTEIN 8 G
BASIC FLATBREAD DOUGH
Makes 12 Servings
- 1 c. warm water, not above 110°F
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tsp. to grease the bowl
- 1/4 c. honey or agave syrup
- 2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c. semolina flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
COMBINE the water, yeast, 1/4 cup of the oil, and the honey in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, and let the mixture sit until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
STIR together the flour, semolina, and salt in a medium bowl.
WITH the machine on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture one-half cup at a time to the yeast mixture. After all the dry ingredients have been added, continue to mix the dough on low speed for 5 minutes.
LIGHTLY oil a large bowl with 1 tsp. oil and place the dough inside. Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and let sit until almost double in size, about 1 hour.
TURN out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and divide into 12 equal portions. One at a time, roll out each portion to 1/4" in thickness.
USE as directed in the recipe.
Makes 1 Cup; Serving Size: 1 tsp.
- 1 c. fresh basil, packed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Roasted Garlic (page 22)
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds (pepitas), roasted
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. thickened vegetable stock
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
PLACE all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.