December 2013 Recipe of the Month
December is the time for holiday parties, and the recipe below, from the December chapter of Mindful Living by Miraval, is a light, delicious, and sophisticated hors d'ouevre—perfect for entertaining! Serve these oysters on the half shell, nestled on the recommended bed of rock salt and pink peppercorsn, and prepare for your guests to swoon. Enjoy!
Oysters on the Half Shell with Mango-Ginger Cocktail Sauce and Pomegranate Mignonette
Makes about 4 servings; Serving Size: 3 oysters
- 12 medium West Coast oysters
- 4 tsp. Mango-Ginger Cocktail Sauce (recipe follows)
- 4 tsp. Pomegranate Mignonette (recipe follows)
- FOR each plate, arrange three freshly shucked raw oysters. Serve with one teaspoon of the Mango-Ginger Cocktail Sauce and Pomegranate Mignonette.
FOR an enhanced presentation, pour a half cup of rock salt on each plate and press the oyster shells into it. This will help to keep the shells from sliding around. The rock salt may be sprinkled with paprika or crushed pink peppercorns for additional color.
Mango-Ginger Cocktail Sauce
Makes 1 Cup; Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
- 1 mango, yields about 1 cup
- 1 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1/2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. mineral water
PEEL and seed mango. Rough chop mango and combine with remaining ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. Remove from blender. Chill and reserve for service.
Makes about 1/2 Cup; Serving Size: 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. pomegranate juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. granulated cane sugar
WHISK all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories: 120; Total Fat: 3.5 G; Carbohydrate: 8 G; Dietary Fiber: 0 G; Protein: 14 G