Butternut Squash Soup
Our guests tell us that Fall is their favorite time of year to cook for family and friends – inspired by the comforting aroma and taste of Fall staples like butternut squash, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With cooler temperatures rolling in, it’s easy to find solace in comfort food so our Miraval chefs created these recipes to help reduce the calories without sacrificing flavor and texture.
Butternut Squash Soup
Miraval’s approach to the classic Butternut Squash Soup channels the warmth and essence of autumn. We incorporate reduced cinnamon-infused rice milk to balance the butternut squash, which adds a completely different dimension of flavor to the dish.
Please note: Soups pureed in a blender have a richer texture. While the butternut squash mixture can be pureed with a food processor or stick blender, the texture and yield will be different from that made in a blender.
Makes 6 cups; Serving size ½ cup
- ¼ tsp. Miraval Oil Blend (page 19) or vegetable oil
- 1 c. chopped yellow onion
- 1 c. chopped celery
- ½ tsp. chopped garlic
- 5 c. peeled, one-inch cubes butternut squash
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 c. Vegetable Stock (page 24) or canned vegetable broth
- 1½ c. rice milk
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the squash, nutmeg, and bay leaf; cook until the squash starts to turn brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the squash is fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring the rice milk and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook, whisking occasionally, until light caramel in color and reduced to ¼ cup in volume, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and cool completely.
- In batches, transfer the butternut squash mixture to a blender and puree on high speed until smooth. Transfer to a clean container, stir, and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, ladle half-cup portions into small soup bowls. Decoratively drizzle 1 tsp. of the rice milk into the center of each serving and serve immediately.
Calories: 50; Total Fat: 0g; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g