Lentil & Portobello Roll-Ups
October Recipe of the Month
These roll-ups are essentially small burritos, filled with hearty ingredients and topped with a zingy salsa that serves as a contrast to the earthiness of the lentils and portobello mushrooms.
Lentil & Portobello Roll-Ups
Calories: 420; Total Fat: 9g; Carbohydrates: 70g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Protein: 17g
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ c. diced potatoes
- 1 c. sliced portobello mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. pink lentils
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 2 c. fresh trimmed and washed spinach
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried chili flakes
- ½ c. crumbled feta cheese
- 6 twelve-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 c. Tomatillo, Lime, and Roasted Corn Salsa (recipe follows)
- Spray a deep-sided sauté pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onions and sauté over medium-high, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, mushrooms, and garlic and cook another 10 minutes, stirring frequently. (Don’t let the garlic burn.)
- Add the lentils and stock and cook until the lentils and potatoes are fully cooked, another 25 minutes or so. Remove the pan from the stove and fold in the spinach, oregano, and chili flakes. The lentil-vegetable mix should not be dry, but it also should not be too wet or it will make the tortilla soggy. If necessary, drain off any excess. Add the feta and fold to mix well.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- On the stove, heat a dry sauté pan over low heat and warm each tortilla. Cover the hot tortillas with a cloth napkin or clean dish towel or just place them in a plastic bag so they don’t dry out.
- Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place about 2 tablespoons of the lentil mix in the lower part of each tortilla, fold in the sides, and then roll them up. Carefully place the tortilla roll-ups seamside down in the baking dish. Bake on the center rack in the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the tortilla roll-ups are crispy and golden brown. Serve with tomatillo salsa.
Tomatillo, Lime and Roasted Corn Salsa
Calories: 35; Total Fat: 0g; Carbohydrates: 7g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein: 1g
- ¼ habanero chili, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ½ scallion, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ c. nopales, cooked and diced (optional)
- ½ c. fresh corn kernels, toasted in a dry skillet until golden brown
- Juice of 1 lime
- Put the habanero, scallion, onion, tomatillos, oregano, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until you have a nice chunky consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the nopales (if using), the corn, and lime juice, stir to blend, and taste for seasoning. Set aside until ready to use.