Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
From Miraval’s Mindful Eating Cookbook, this dish is so jam packed with Tucson’s traditional flavors, you will taste Miraval in your kitchen.
Makes 1 quart; Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 8g; Carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 21g
- ¼ tsp. Miraval Oil Blend (page 19) or canola oil
- ¼ c. chopped carrot
- ¼ c. chopped celery
- ¼ c. chopped red onion
- ¼ c. chopped Roasted Red Bell Pepper (page 18)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped roasted poblano chili pepper or canned poblano pepper
- 1½ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ c. chopped seeded tomato
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 qt. Chicken Stock (page 20) or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. chopped, roasted, or grilled chicken breast
- 4 tsp. chopped avocado, garnish
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- 4 tsp. grated pepper jack or Cotija cheese, garnish
- 4 lime wedges, garnish
- 12 Toasted Tortilla Chips, garnish
- Heat a medium pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the carrot, celery, onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the tomato, cumin, chili powder, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and chicken, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook until the carrots are tender and the flavors have married, 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle a half cup of the soup into each of four bowls. Garnish each serving with the avocado, cilantro, cheese, lime wedges, and 3 tortilla chips. Serve immediately.