Vanilla Bean Flan Recipe
While you plan your summer BBQ menu, don’t forget dessert! Impress your guests with this delicious flan.
Vanilla Bean Flan
Makes 6 servings
- 1 c. 2 percent milk
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. half-and-half
- 1 Vanilla bean, cut in half, seeds scraped out
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 c. plus 5 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz. fresh seasonal berries
- 1 tbsp. Sweetened Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Place six 4-ounce ramekins in a deep baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the milk, cream, half-and-half, and vanilla bean and its seeds in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolks, and 5 Tbsp. of the sugar in a large bowl until frothy. Whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture to combine. Gradually whisk the remaining hot milk mixture into the egg mixture and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Set aside.
- To make the caramel for the bottom of the ramekins, combine the remaining ½ cup sugar, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan, stirring to incorporate the water into the sugar, being careful not to get the sugar mixture onto the sides of the pan. Cook undisturbed over medium heat until a light amber color, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and spoon 1 Tbsp. of the caramel into the bottom of each greased ramekin.
- Ladle the egg mixture over the caramel in each ramekin, dividing evenly. Pour hot water into the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake until the custards are set but still slightly loose in the center, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and let the custards rest in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the custards from the water and cool slightly before refrigerating. Chill completely before serving, at least 4 hours. (If storing longer before serving, cover each ramekin tightly with plastic wrap before refrigerating.)
- Remove the flans from the refrigerator. Using an index finger, press around the outside edge of each flan to release from the ramekins.
- Invert each flan into a shallow dessert bowl or onto a dessert plate. Top each flan with fruit and ½ tsp. of Sweetened Whipped Cream. Serve immediately.
Calories: 260; Total Fat: 17g; Carbohydrate: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Protein: 6g
Sweetened Whipped Cream
Makes 1 1/2 cups; Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- 1 c. heavy cream, very cold
- 2 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a handheld electric mixer, combine the cream and sugar and beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve immediately.
Calories : 90; Total Fat: 9g; Carbohydrate: 2g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Protein: 0g