Petite Filet with Cranberry Demi
Recipe created at Miraval Berkshires
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES
Created by Miraval Berkshires Executive Chef, Justin Taylor.
This beef tenderloin with red wine cranberry sauce impressive entree for any dinner crowd.
- 1 lb organic chicken wings
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 ea large shallots, large dice 1 ea carrot, peeled, large dice
- 1 tsp sugar, turbinado
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cups, cabernet sauvignon
- 2 qts beef bone broth, unsalted 1 ea bouquet garni, (a bundle of fresh thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ cup, dried cranberries
- 4 ea, 5 oz prime beef tenderloin filets
- Heat a 4 qt enameled cast iron pot (Le Creuset or Staub or any heavy bottom 4 qt stainless pot) on medium-high heat and pan roast the chicken wings with oil until deeply golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and remove the chicken wings onto a wired rack.
- In the same pan add the shallots and carrots.
- Sauté on medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring to pick up the chicken bits or “fond” in the pan.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the red wine and cook to reduce by half.
- Add the roasted chicken wings back to the pan.
- Add the bone broth, bouquet garni, and peppercorns and bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 hours, skimming with a ladle periodically to remove any fat or impurities rising.
- Strain everything through a fine chinois into a smaller pot and simmer the strained liquid on low heat until it’s reduced to a sauce- like consistency (or able to coat a spoon).
- Strain once more and add the Allow to sit warm while you cook the steak.
- Season and cook your steaks in a sauté pan or grill to medium rare or preferred temperature. For a home cook, we recommend using a thermometer and cooking the steak to 125 degrees F and allowing to “rest” for 5 minutes until serving. It will continue to cook as it sits.
- Taste your sauce for seasoning and finish with a little butter whisked in if desired. It will give more shine.
- On a warm platter slice your steaks and generously pour the sauce around them.
- Serve with grilled green vegetable of choice and or puree (parsnip, potato, cauliflower).
Life in balance by Miraval