Green Chile Posole
It’s that time again to start planning your Thanksgiving menu.
We all have family favorite recipes and tried and true ways to wow our guests, but this may be the year you want to do things with a twist! If so, try Miraval’s Sonoran-inspired dish. You and your guests will enjoy the spice and flare that the Southwest brings to thanksgiving with this wonderful recipe.
Serves: 6 cups
Calories: 190; Total Fat: 5g; Carbohydrate: 27g; Dietary Fibre: 7g; Protein: 13g
- 2 Tbsp. Miraval Oil Blend or vegetable oil
- 1 c. chopped yellow onions
- ½ c. chopped celery
- ¼ c. chopped garlic
- 1 c. chopped poblano pepper
- 1 lb. lean boneless pork loin, cut into ¾” cubes
- 1½ c. chopped fresh tomatillo, or canned
- 1 c. canned hominy, rinsed well and drained
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 c. Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium, nonfat chicken broth
- ¼ c. thinly sliced red cabbage, garnish
- 3 tsp. crumbled Cotija, feta, or parmesan cheese, garnish
- 1¼ tsp. finely grated fresh lime zest, garnish
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of pan. Lower the heat to medium-high, add the onions, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the celery, stir, and cook for 45 seconds. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 45 seconds. Add the pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil and stir well. Add the pork and cook, stirring to sear on all sides, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatillo, hominy, 2 Tbsp. of the cilantro, the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock, stirring to scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a high simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the meat is tender and cooked through, 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp. cilantro. Divide the stew among 12 serving bowls (half cup per serving). Garnish each portion with 1 tsp. of the cabbage, ¼ tsp. of the cheese, and 1/8 tsp. of the lime zest; and serve immediately.