Quinoa and Almond Butter Mini Muffins
Recipe created at Miraval Berkshires Resort & Spa
Inspired by the complimentary snacks available at Miraval Berkshires’ The Roost, these mini muffins are perfect for grab ‘n’ go breakfast and snacks this summer. Get your kids in the kitchen with this fun and delicious recipe you can make together!
We substitute with almond butter and apple sauce to add richness and incorporate cooked quinoa for texture. Fun tip: If you like bananas, exchange ripe bananas for the apple sauce. If you like chocolate, substitute chocolate chips for the blueberries or have both. Make some today and let them become a favorite in your house.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 12 mini muffins
Tools: Stand mixer and mini muffin tin
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup orange zest
- ½ cup of your choice of blueberries, chocolate chips, craisins, nuts, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and gently spray your mini muffin tray with a non-stick spray of choice.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, combine almond butter, applesauce, coconut oil, and honey with a whisk on low speed to combine for one minute. Add eggs one at a time with the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients with orange zest and briefly combine.
- Fold in the blueberries and quinoa with a rubber spatula.
- With a piping bag, ice cream scoop, or spoon, fill muffins tins and immediately bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow muffins to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy.