Sweet Potato Toffee Cake
Recipe created at Miraval Austin Resort & Spa
Soft and tender, lightly spiced sweet potato cake made extra delicious and comforting.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 minis or one 9″
Tools: Stand mixer with paddle or mixing bowls, mixing spoon, blender or immersion blender, 3″ silicone baking mold, 9″ cake pan, saucepot.
*If Einkorn 65% extraction is not available, a combination of 1/4 whole wheat flour and 3/4 all-purpose flour will work.
- 2 C chopped dates
- 2 C sweet potato (diced & boiled)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 C white wine
- 1 C butter
- 2 C raw sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 C einkorn flour 65% extraction*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp anise
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine chopped dates, boiled sweet potatoes, spices, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Bring White Wine to a boil and pour over ingredients. Allow to steep 1 hour.
- Mix Cream butter and sugar until light and airy. Incorporate eggs, and mix until completely absorbed into the butter mixture.
- Blend the cooled sweet potato and wine mixture using an immersion blender or stand blender. Small pieces of sweet potato are ok.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add one-third of the dry mixture to the cream butter, eggs, and sugar. Follow with 1/2 of the sweet potato mixture, Continue this pattern for the remaining ingredients.
- Scoop into 3″ silicone baking mold, or papered muffin tin, and bake for 20 minutes for mini cakes and 30-40 minutes for standard 9″ cake.